Sunday, July 10, 2011

Love... is all we need!


One thing that I have learned during my time so far in Cambodia is that everyone no matter where you live, what race you are or what "class" you're in, we are all looking for love. The love you seek may be different, maybe for some they are looking for it in attention from others, some seek it in things they love and others may pursue it in their actions or deeds. The truth behind all of this is that we can get all of that from Our Savior. Jesus gives us the attention we so seek. The word says in Song of Songs "You are beautiful my beloved there is no flaw in you" and "Arise my darling, come away with me." He longs to give us that attention that we so desire. The things of this world will not fill that void.I am often reminded of the song "Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus" it says:
"Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of Earth will grow strangely dim,
In the light of His glory and grace."
His glory, grace and love exceed all the things this world has to offer. Everything else compared to Him will grow strangely dim.
And finding love and fulfillment solely in deeds and actions does not get you anywhere. You need faith behind those actions. Today we were told how easy it is to open an orphanage here in Cambodia. Literally all you need is a building and to say we'll take your kids. but the problem with that is that those people doing that aren't helping anything. If they don't have people supporting them they almost always fail. The Christian orphanages here that are backed by supporters and have their base set in Him are the successful ones! They have faith along with deeds and in that they find love and fulfillment. In James it says "Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it?" You need both faith and actions to truly feel that love.
Ok, so I know that this was really wordy and kind of philosophical but it all boils down to the fact that we can try to find love in many other things, people and actions. But the only TRUE LOVE we can ever feel or even express comes from Him.
During my time in Cambodia I am praying that all I do and all that I take part in is backed by Him and His powerful love and grace. Whether I am teaching my students or saying hello to the neighbors across the street I want to do it all keeping in mind that His love is what they are seeing!
"And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit." 2 Corinthians 3:18

No comments: